Monday, September 17, 2012

An Interview with Dr. Melissa Hulvat

Last week I had the pleasure of interviewing Dr. Melissa Hulvat, Kalispell Regional Health Care's Breast Surgical Oncologist and One2One Medical Advisor.  I was interested to know more about Dr. Hulvat's mission to educate and inspire her patients and how her own personal journey has impacted this mission. Here is what I found out.
1)     What is research showing right now about the association between being overweight and breast cancer?  Research shows a compelling link between being overweight and getting many common kinds of cancer.  Also, weight strongly influences the risk of the cancer coming back in breast cancer survivors. Women who increased their Body Mass Index (BMI) by .5 to 2 units were found to have a 40% greater chance of recurrence.  Those that gained more than 2 BMI units had a 53% greater chance of recurrence. 
2)     How important is a healthy weight to the prevention and treatment of breast cancer?  It is extremely important and after initial cancer treatment, physical activity and a healthy weight is as effective as many of the regularly prescribed medications.  Healthy lifestyle combined with the best medical therapy gives the best chance of a cancer free future.
3)     How has your role in medicine influenced your personal decision to lose weight and be healthy?  Would you speak about your own personal weight loss journey?  As a breast surgical oncologist, my patients look to me for the best available advice and medical treatment.  I realized that my being overweight was a barrier for me to talk openly and honestly with my patients about the benefits of being physically active, eating well and maintaining a healthy weight.  It was suggested to me by my primary care physician to lose weight in order to alleviate some knee pain I was feeling.  I grumbled a little, but then realized that my extra weight was starting to keep me from doing the activities that I have come to enjoy.  I started with small steps and through changing my diet I lost 10 pounds.  I started to feel better and decided I could then increase my physical activity - and enjoy it.  Now, 60 pounds lighter, I have a whole new appreciation of my body and my life.  If I can use my journey to help my patients, the reward is even sweeter.
4)     What is the most important message you would share with people about healthy weight and choosing a healthy lifestyle?  When you have cancer, everything happens to you and you feel everything is out of your control.  Fight back and regain control by changing your body the way you want.  By eating healthy and being physical activity, you can have control and stop the feeling of being a victim of circumstances
5)     What are the biggest barriers you see in your patients with regards to their ability to reach a healthy weight?  I see motivation as the biggest barrier and I think you have to harness your motivation in order to take the next step.  Many cancer survivors feel that they have received a second chance at life when they beat cancer.  Use that motivation to propel you forward!
6)     What are some other preventative methods that people can do to reduce their risk?  There is nothing that can reduce the risk of a cancer recurrence to zero.  However, everyone can do something to lower the risk.  In addition to maintaining a healthy weight; I suggest:
-  being physically active 5 days per week for 30 minutes per day,
   not smoking
-  enjoying alcoholic drinks moderately – 4 drinks a week is probably okay, 2
   drinks per day is probably not
-  getting enough sleep to feel rested, which decreases inflammation and cancer
   risk
-  increased omega 3 fats consumption
-  normal levels of vitamin D
7)     What role does exercise play in reducing the risk of breast cancer?  Exercise has been shown to reduce the risk of cancer, independent of a person’s weight.  A June 2012 study in Cancer showed that at least 10 hours of physical activity per week (this is exercise & daily activities like walking, housecleaning, gardening) during the reproductive and postmenopausal years resulted in a 30% reduced risk of developing breast cancer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment